As you can see, the ticker is seemingly functional. I've decided to halt production there, though, due to several issues with the blog.
Since the source is freely available for SkuddBlog, I find no sense of worry (about this particular install) due to my divulgance of these issues:
- Form If you look at the source code, you'll see that there's so much "crap" going on that doesn't need to be, and that there is a better way to do nearly everything.
- Modularity Is that even a word? Hm. Anyhow, nearly everything the blog does is in system/page_functions.php. This is a very stupid move on my part, but it is something I've learned with experience.
- Security The way the user-input data is being filtered is less than admirable. While the individual concepts are good, the way they're all butchered and hacked and glued together is ugly and far from bulletproof.
- Upgradability Due to the above, there's virtually NO way for any future enhancements to take place. I pity anyone who has tried to create custom add-ons for it.
I don't know if anyone is aware, but this blog was pieced together in right about a day when I used Macromedia Dreamweaver for the first time. Now that I've got a couple of years of experience under my belt, I want to do this all over again. There comes the issue of time, though: I have none, and when I do, I have no desire.
I'll be taking a week of vacation in mid to late September this year, and in that time I will pick up on a new version of SkuddBlog, throwing all the existing codebase aside and starting fresh. Until the product is finished, I will continue using this blog for my personal ramblings.