For a while now, I've had this itch to coat some bacon in brown sugar and fry it. I finally got around to doing it tonight, and it's one of the most amazing things I've had in a while.
The process was pretty simple:
- Cut a pack of bacon in half length-wise
- Throw 4 of the half-strips in a gallon Ziplock bag with about 1/4 cup of sugar
- Close the Ziplock, making sure to leave some air
- Toss for about 5 minutes, making sure each strip gets a "healthy" coating
- Throw the coated strips in a frying pan on medium heat, adding about 1/4 cup of water
- Cook uncovered, making sure to flip the bacon every once in a while
- When the bacon has curled to a normal "cooked" shape, pull it out of the pan and set it on a paper plate or cooling rack to, well, cool!
How you use the candied bacon is up to you. I personally just ate it straight off the plate. Be careful with this though; it's really easy to eat too much of it, which can really give your cholesterol a kick.
You know what else is tasty? Wrap miniature sausages in bacon, line them up in a baking dish, sprinkle them with brown sugar, and bake them until they are cooked and delicious. WIN.
- Posted by Fufu (Guest) on October 22, 2008 at 09:20:54AM